Sunday, March 15, 2015

Life Drawing Workshop

Here are all the sketches I drew during the class where we were had a live model come in. I've taken a life drawing class before, so these exercises were familiar to me, but I am a slow drawer and thus was only able to get the basic outline down on most of my sketches before running out of time, and sometimes I wasn't even able to finish that much.









One of my problems is that I try to get a lot of the details right the first time around, which slows me down considerably. Apparently most artists start with a rougher form, drawn very lightly, then build the details on top of that. I've never been good at drawing lightly, which means if I start with a rough form and then try to erase it later it doesn't come up as well, so my drawing gets dirty and smudgy. Thus, I developed the habit of simply drawing all the details in the first time around, to minimize how much erasing I have to do. I like to think I have had some success with this strategy, but it has a few drawbacks -- it's slower, it's more difficult to correct my figure's proportions as I go, and I become so focused on copying the figure in front of me that it becomes difficult for me to draw with my own artistic style, rather than simply striving for photo-realism like I usually do.

No comments:

Post a Comment